TOPICS: Worked Examples Explanation Pythagorean Theorem Video
In this video (at the end of the text) we have a clear, understandable explanation of the
Pythagorean Theorem. It contains a visual explanation based on the geometric calculations
that led Pythagoras to create his theorem, by discovering that the area of the square that has
the hypotenuse as one of its sides is equal to the sum of the areas of the squares that have the
legs for sides in a right triangle.
After the video, we’ll show you several applications and exercises where we will have to:
1. Find the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle from the values of both legs.
2. Find the length of one of the legs of a right triangle, given the values of the other leg
and the hypotenuse.
3. Find the measurement of one of the legs of a right triangle, given the values of the
other leg and the hypotenuse, but with the triangle turned on its side (with the
hypotenuse as the base).
Besides these exercises, you’ll also find other very interesting applications of the Pythagorean
Theorem, for example:
1. Finding the height of a tree by knowing the distance from the top to the end of its
shadow and the distance from that point to the base of the tree itself.
2. Calculating the height of a kite by knowing the length of the string that holds it and the
distance from the person holding it to the point directly below the kite.
In conclusion, an excellent video about the Pythagorean Theorem that will not only help you
know what it is about but also learn many of its application and solve problems related to it.